Sunday 5 March 2017

Seeing The Trees For The Woods


I blame Ross from http://gameofmonth.blogspot.co.uk/ he was talking about gaming using 54mm figures , now I have some home-cast 54mm figures but have never really played with them due to the lack of suitable terrain - I have dabbled with out door gaming but due to the weather and the dog never that successfully - I was looking in a Family History magazine , my wife does genealogy and came across the above MDF tree for making family trees (think you attach the heart shapes with the relatives names on them) and thought would it do for 54mm gaming ?!.


I sent for some (they come in various sizes ) and got a parcel with six of them . Now they are two dimensional  but I was thinking stylised terrain - VERY Toy Soldier so I had to think of some method of basing them .


I decided to hot glue them to some round bases I already had and support them with two triangular uprights .


These I glued at right angles to the tree trunk and then the whole thing to the base .


Here we see Colonel Flashman and Mr Kipling (in 54mm) inspecting the finished trees to give some scale . I'm going to give them a coat of gloss varnish and then paint the leaves and bases green - an update to follow soon ............
P.S Have been asked were I got them from EBay -  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MDF-Craft-Supplies?_trksid=p2047675.l2563





10 comments:

  1. Fantastic!Can you tell us a little more where to buy them from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, where can one obtain some?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking exactly the same thing for 1/32 shiny toy soldiers. They look delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have quite a few of the Prince August figures already cast up and am looking for a way of using them ,Tony

      Delete
  4. They give a nice toy like effect, will be interested to see them painted up. I find some 28mm scenery works well on the table with 54mm figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that , am after the H.G. Wellsian look , Tony

      Delete
  5. Very atmospheric and stylish. They look a little more leafy than the Christmas mdf winter trees sold as Christmas decs that I had in my blog at the turn of the year (not available online except to trade but around in design and decs type shops www.ascalon.co.uk) Mark, Man of TIN blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be quite a few different designs out there,will be posting photos of the finish trees soon,Tony

      Delete